Monday, January 28, 2013

Love BIG!

Step out in FAITH
Wait with HOPE
Love BIG
I Corinthians 13:13
 
 
This past weekend, I had the unexpected and last minute opportunity to join a group of fabulous ladies at the Created for Care conference in Atlanta, GA.  When I was asked if I could step in for a mom whose family had fallen ill, I really had no idea where I was going or what I was doing. I just simply thought a weekend away with the girls sounded like a great idea.  It turned out to be so much more.
 
This conference was designed for adoptive mom's and mom's waiting to travel to meet their children.  I had originally thought I would feel out of place, seeing as we haven't been matched yet with our daughter. I was so wrong.  This weekend was packed full of ladies just like me, waiting, uncertain of how the future will play out, seemingly unaware of the difficulty of the days ahead.  How refreshing to know that I am not alone.
 
I just wanted to highlight some of the things I learned while they are still fresh on my mind. 
  • In order for me to gain, she has to lose.
  • In order for me to love, she has to lose someone who was supposed to love her.
  • With great blessing must come brokenness
  • It's not about me - it's about her and her story.
  • Getting it all right is not my goal. Building relationships in love is what I need to seek.
  • Adoption is not always (or even usually) pretty or easy.  So thankful for the honesty on this.
  • I am seen by the One who knows my name. (Gen. 16)
  • God hears the cry of our children wherever they are.  (Gen. 21)
Over the days and weeks to come, these are some of the things I will be focusing on and reminding myself of as God prepares my heart to love BIG.
 
My new book wish list of things I would like to read:
  •  How Full is Your Bucket by Tom Rath
  • The God Who Sees  by Tammy Maltby
  • Parenting is Your Highest Calling and 8 Other Myths That Trap Us in Worry and Guilt by Leslie Leyland Fields
  •  
     
 


No comments:

Post a Comment